When many families are busy planning a warm Christmas holiday surrounded by loved ones, others look toward the season with loneliness. Almost every childhood memory of Christmas involves sharing laughter, love, and gifts, but perhaps you cannot relive those memories this year.
Being alone during the winter season can be discouraging. Not only are you lonely, but it is also cold! That combination of factors can make anyone blue, and it is understandable if you are at that point.
Fortunately, there are ways to counteract your feelings and bring some warmth to your inner hearth!
Try the following ideas to warm your heart and soul:
- Care for the homeless. If you check your local newspaper or watch a community channel, you will likely find stories about shelters doing something special for the homeless this winter. Why not sign up as a volunteer and take part in the following ways:
- Being a food server as homeless people come into a shelter for meals is one of the most inspiring, selfless things you can do.
- Reading bedtime stories to kids who seek refuge in a homeless shelter is a great way to bond with someone and open your heart to caring for another person. Many homeless kids don’t know what it feels like to have someone care for them. Seeing their eyes light up with pleasure can bring you as much joy as it does them.
- Taking some warm clothes to homeless people can be a heartwarming experience for you as well. Your generous act contributes to the comfort, health, and safety of those who might be in dire straits without your help.
- Donate to charity. If you are not inclined to visit a homeless shelter, or if you do not have the opportunity to do so, you could always make a meaningful donation to a charity of your choice. You will not be directly involved in the lives of those you have contributed to, but your contribution will still be felt.
- Make a meaningful cash deposit to the Salvation Army account.
- Ship a box of fun toys and gifts, individually wrapped, to a local children’s home.
- Purchase tickets to Disneyworld, especially for a named child and guardian, at a home of your choice.
- Take a vacation. There is no better time to treat yourself to an exciting vacation than during winter when you feel lonely. Pick somewhere with lots of activities and be open to meeting other people who are perhaps wearing the same shoes you are.
- Go skiing in the mountains.
- Spend a few days at a spa resort.
- Visit a country you have always wanted to visit.
It is so easy to give in to those feelings of loneliness, but taking purposeful action to make your moments bright and memorable this winter will bring you the warmth you crave.
Get a new lease on life in the cold of winter by using these simple to implement strategies! It would help if you always stay safe should you decide to implement any one of these tips. Take the necessary precautions, and stay a safe distance. Until next time, keep safe, and keep the faith.