Learning to express yourself through creativity is a great way to live more at the moment than in the past or future. It’s difficult to focus on anything but the present when your brain is actively involved in creating, and this is one of the ways you can live a healthier, more balanced, more fulfilling life overall.
There are so many ways to begin expressing yourself through creativity. Here, I’ll discuss a few of them, but this list is by no means exhaustive!
- Look for beauty in everything around you. A forest full of trees holds beauty just like a city street lit up at night does. Beauty is subjective, and you may find that the things you find beautiful, someone else does not. That’s okay! The point of the exercise is to hone your ability to look for and find beauty in all places – beauty that will inspire your creativity!
- Learn to communicate effectively. You will have difficulty expressing yourself if you can’t share your feelings and thoughts. Learning to communicate gives you the power to express yourself with words. It allows you the freedom to capture and relate the ideas you have when inspiration occurs. There is no expression without communication of some kind.
- Find or make a creative home for yourself. It could be a room in your home that you dedicate to expressing your creativity. Maybe it is an art studio away from home or a garden where you feel safe and unencumbered. Wherever you choose, you should feel excited to begin creating when you get there.
- Take a step in a creative direction by deciding on a form your creativity will take. It never has to be set in stone, which will change as you evolve. Maybe right now, it is dance, but later it might be drawing, journaling, woodcarving, or cooking. Don’t limit yourself! Try things that interest you, and if you find them fulfilling, wonderful! If you don’t, move on to something else.
- Give yourself time to practice every day. You won’t know if you enjoy something unless you do it. Don’t let the fear of imperfection prevent you from beginning. And realize that starting something new is always a little scary. The key is not allowing that fear to stop you from moving forward.
Hopefully, these tips will get you moving in the right direction towards expressing yourself through creativity. Don’t let the fear stop you – just get started!
Until next time, stay safe, and keep the faith.